We see a future where this magical spot is preserved as a place of natural beauty to be used for private retreat, recreation and celebration of nature for generations to come.
The mission of Faraway Pond is to maintain and create natural places and man made spaces that offer a place of refuge and serene natural beauty that restores the spirit, ignites creativity and delights our children (and inner child) with the possibilities for learning and recreation.
The Goals for 2018/19
It is our goal to restore the existing structures to their original beauty and strength, including bridges, gazebo, forest trails, driveways and roads,
Build a beautiful Post and Beam Barn for gatherings
Our strategy is to follow the original plan for the pond property as outlined in the Forest Society Deed. We plan to continue the tradition of offering annual leases to support the maintenance and enhancements for the Faraway Pond Property. Keeping the land open and natural requires lots of loving effort, creative, careful landscaping and a curated vision. We will engage the help of professionals and volunteers in the effort to preserve and enhance the property. In addition we will take steps to make the property energy independent.
• Build a Post and Beam Barn above the berm section of pond
• Increase the solar energy gain by adding solar panels to the barn roof
• Enhance the strength of the bridges and add new surface for better safety
• Clear and widen the trails where they have grown over
• Remove fallen trees and clear debris from forest floor
• Resurface and restore the native gravel drives and existing parking areas
• Plant a pumpkin patch
• Prune the orchard
• Install 2 "Flow" bee hives in the orchard
• Host a cider making day in the Fall
• Host a Honey Gathering day in the Summer
• Curate the forests by selective cutting to allow trees to flourish
• Host a Forest Society Fundraiser Farm to Table Dinner